Pages

Wednesday 25 July 2012

Danny Green defeats Danny Santiago

Three time world champion Danny Green scored a fifth round TKO against opponent Danny Santiago

Santiago came out firing in the early rounds, but simply could not withstand the power of Green's punches, falling for the fourth and final time of the bout 2min 47sec into the fifth before the referee waived it off.  The win takes Green's record to 32 wins (28 by knockout), five losses (2KO) and no draws.  Santiago now has an unenviable record of having been stopped in all six of his defeats, with his record moving to 31 wins (19KO), six losses for six and one draw.  Green Machine boxing trumpeted the fight as Green's last at Challenge Stadium and post-win, the WA fighter would not be drawn on whether it was the last of his career.  "I'm just going to relax and enjoy it," Green said.  "I think I can say I've proudly represented my state and my country as well as I possibly could ... I almost died here a few times.  "This one's for you guys, as always.  "I've worked my ass off, I've had broken bones in almost every part of my body, but I've done it for you guys and I hope so much you know that."  Santiago praised Green and urged his opponent to continue at the lighter weight, with Green dropping from cruiserweight to a catchweight of 84.9kg.  "I came and I gave it all I had, he's very strong fighter," Santiago said.  "I know he says it's his last fight here, but I hope it's not his last fight ... he hits like a mule." Green has now been encouraged to chase a world title figtht with WBA light heavyweight champion Beibut Shumanov.  Speaking earlier this week, Green confirmed he had already held discussions with Shumenov and WBO light heavyweight champion Nathan Cleverly.

No comments:

Post a Comment