Pages

Thursday 19 July 2012

Antonio Margarito retires

"After 22 years of full dedication to the profession I love, I have made the decision to announce my retirement from boxing," Margarito, 34, said in a statement addressed to "family, friends and fans."


"After much thought and extended conversations with my family and team, we have all agreed that the time to hang up my gloves and begin a new chapter in life has arrived," Margarito continued. "I always told my family and team that I would walk away from boxing when I felt I could no longer compete at the level I believed I needed to be, in order to be successful. Although the passion and drive are still there, I have to accept that my time to walk away has arrived."



In the end, Mexico's Margarito -- known by many as "The Tijuana Tornado" for his relentless pressure style -- retired because his body was breaking down.
Margarito, who took a severe beating from Miguel Cotto in a 10th-round knockout loss in their grudge rematch in December, had been scheduled to return May 26 on a Top Rank card in a middleweight bout against Abel Perry.
However, Margarito (38-8, 27 KOs) withdrew from the fight because of an Achilles injury, hoping to instead be ready for the fight in July. But Margarito felt he would not be ready and walked away, even though a victory would have set him up for a possible big-money fight against middleweight titlist Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. in the fall.
"We are so delighted in playing a significant role in Antonio Margarito's career considering the (hand-wrap) incident which happened to him in California," Top Rank promoter Bob Arum said. "We were able to continue to get fights for Antonio, which has insured his financial security.
"We wish him good luck in retirement."
Margarito leaves boxing with a tainted legacy. For several years, he was considered the most avoided fighter in the sport, unable to land a fight with a name opponent because of the significant danger he posed for little reward.

No comments:

Post a Comment